Requesting a custom handfasting cord can seem a daunting prospect, but its really
just a case of thinking about a few questions, submitting a request via the Contact
page here or Custom Request link on Etsy, then having a chat about exactly what you’d
like. There’s no obligation to buy, costs are very flexible and there’s an almost
limitless variation on colours, materials and charms which can be added to make your
cord unique. Custom work is my favourite, so have a read through the questions below
and drop me a line on the Contacts page, we can take it from there :-)
1. How many cords do you want? Do you want one long cord to share, or a slightly
shorter cord that’s more tailored to both of you?
2. How many strands do you want in each cord? Perhaps if 5 is your lucky number,
then 5 strands would be the way to go. Odd numbers are usually the most popular
as they tend to braid the best.
3. What kind of materials are you looking for? Cords need to be flexible enough
to be knotted. Things like satin, silk, ribbon, velvet, leather, suede, rope, wool,
braids, chain etc all work well.
4. What kind of customisation is important? Popular choices are things like including
your birthstone, references to your star sign or even things like dragons or tigers
if they relate to your birth year according to the Chinese calendar.
5. Is the location of your celebration relevant to the cords? Perhaps you’re getting
married on a beach and would like shells incorporated, or on a cruise so like the
idea of a nautical theme. Forest weddings are popular, as are handfasting cords
in natural, earthy colours to complement this. Or perhaps you’re off to Vegas and
want something covered in rhinestones? :-)
6. Are gemstones important to you? Many people believe that certain aspects of our
lives can be enhanced by specific gemstones. Perhaps you might like hematite to
be added to enhance relationships, or amethyst for calm and peace? If there’s a
specific area that you’d like to know which gemstones could be applied to, just let
me know and I can send you more details. 7. Do you have a favourite colour? The colour
of the cords can play a critical role, whether they are simply your favourite colour,
or perhaps the colour associated with the wedding anniversary which you are using
the handfasting cords to celebrate.